Pre- pre-training is over after my 3.5 mile run tomorrow, and I move into pre-training next week. Thinking of things in phases like this is helpful, as it gives me more beginnings and ends.
- Ran 3 days/week even when it was cold and/or dark
- Gaining confidence in running
- Improving my speed on a 1.5-mile run
- Incorporating strength training into my routine (thanks, Apple Fitness+!)
- Completed and PRed Swamp Rabbit 5K
Goals for Pre-Training
Pre-training takes me from getting in the habit of running 3 days/week to 4 days/week, which is my goal for marathon training. I am following Hal Higdon’s Novice Base Training Program for 12 weeks. My goals during this phase are:
- Create the habit of running 4 days
- Continue growing my confidence
- Incorporate weekly yoga into my routine
- Continue during strength / HIIT workouts to build muscle
- Submit to Noom program’s advice to lose weight
Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.Voltaire
I’m trying not to take off more than I can chew because building my confidence is really important. I don’t see myself as a runner, and sometimes a run can seem overwhelming or daunting. I don’t want to get nervous and miss one. Consistently running 1.5 miles has been a positive influence for me. I know that is a distance I can handle without a problem. As I continue my training program, if I feel I don’t have the time or the energy, I need to get out and do at least the 1.5-mile loop. A little bit is better than nothing. “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of good!”
Can’t wait to give you my next update in a few weeks!